New Cover Art Released:
So back in November slashfilm.com posted an article informing us all of the great news that Richard Linklater's under-the-radar indie-trilogy (known among cinephiles as "The 'Before' Trilogy") will be getting a box set.
Aside from the fact that it is going to be released by The Criterion Collection (rightly so), little else was has been revealed... until a few weeks ago.
Now, a new article has given us not only the art work for the actual box set itself, but cover art for each individual film.
Check it out for yourself:
A Little Background Info For The Un-Initiated:
Filmed over a span of 18 years, The "Before" Trilogy follows the ups and downs of Jesse and Celine, two lovers that originally meet in Paris in 1995. In the original film, Before Sunrise, they are given only one night together (Jesse is stopping in Paris on his way to Vienna, where he will ultimately catch a train back to the United States). In the course of that single night, they fall in love, and promise to meet again the following year.
Before Sunset picks up nine years later, wherein the two finally connect again after failing to meet as they had agreed 8 years prior. Another nine years go by until we meet them for the final time in Before Midnight, now married and facing various conflicts in their personal lives.
The "Before" Trilogy is a subtle, moving love story that stands the test of time. Helmed by visionary director Richard Linklater (the auteur responsible for such masterpieces as Slacker, Dazed and Confused, Waking Life, and Boyhood, among others), the series has been lauded by film connoisseurs of all stripes.
Obviously, for fans of the trilogy, this is phenomenal news.
What Else You Can Expect:
As to what Criterion has in store in terms of special features, the general rundown appears to be as follows:
- New, restored 2K digital transfers of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset and a 2K digital master of Before Midnight, approved by director Richard Linklater, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Before Sunrise Blu-ray and 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Before Sunset and Before Midnight Blu-rays
- New discussion featuring Linklater and actors Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke, moderated by critic Kent Jones
- Behind-the-scenes footage and interviews from the productions of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset
- Audio commentary on Before Midnight by Delpy, Linklater, and Hawke
- Dream Is Destiny, a 2016 feature-length documentary about Linklater by Louis Black and Karen Bernstein
- New documentary about the making of Before Midnight in Greece by filmmaker Athina Rachel Tsangari
- 3×2, a new conversation between scholars Dave Johnson and Rob Stone about Linklater’s work
- Linklater // On Cinema & Time, a video essay
- An essay on the trilogy by critic Dennis Lim
The "Before" Trilogy will be officially released by Criterion on February 28th... And I can hardly wait!