The Creators Academy has been designed by the Creators.co team, who have spent years working both within the online publishing world, and with amazing Creators to help them make the most of our platform and community. We've pooled together our collective know-how, and designed a course which we hope will arm you with all of the tools to write kick-ass content on whatever topics you're passionate about!
Many of you may be thinking, "This sounds awesome, but how do I get involved? What will the course actually teach me? How long will it take?" Wonder no more! This post will answer any questions you may have about the course.
1. What is Creators Academy?
Creators Academy is a self-paced online writing course to teach you tips, tricks and skills you need to make the most of your online writing.
The course will equip you with the tools you'll need to be a successful online writer; we'll teach you everything from style, formatting and optimizing your articles for Google search, to improving the visual quality of your work, writing a kick-ass editorial or news piece, and navigating the world of social media to expand your own audience.
This course is open to everyone with a creators.co account (you can sign up for one here if you aren’t a member of our community yet). Our goal is to take you from fan to Verified Creator; if you’re not sure what that means, take a look at Question #10.
2. How much does it cost?
Nothing at all! Creators.co is entirely free of charge. It’s part of our ongoing commitment to make Creators.co the best place on the web for aspiring writers and nerds of all varieties to share their work and feel at home in our geeky community.
3. What is the difference between Creators Academy and MPU (Moviepilot University)?
There's a couple of key differences between Creators Academy and the old MPU program.
- First, CA is work-at-your-own-pace. We know that a lot of our Creators have busy lives outside of writing for Creators.co, and can't commit to setting aside 6 weeks to produce 4-5 posts a week. This course doesn't have deadlines, and you can work through it a pace that suits you.
- Second, MPU was more focused on retrospective notes and feedback from mentors, after you'd created your posts. CA is more about learning a new lesson and absorbing the key tenets before you sit down to write.
- Third, Creators Academy is more in-depth, and focuses on a wider range of writing skills. There are lessons on how to specifically write news, editorial, Google-optimised content, etc. The assignments are also much more focused- rather than writing 4 articles thinking about titles, for instance, the assignment is to write one emotive post, with an equally captivating title. CA really hones in on key skills, and gives students a chance to learn on a much more granular level.
If you’re an MPU graduate who’d love to tackle the Creators Academy, there’s certainly enough new material to make it worth your while. Feel free to sign up- we’d love to have you!
4. How long does the course take?
That is entirely up to you, young Padawan! The course is learn-at-your-own pace, and designed to fit in with your own personal schedule. Of course, we’d advise taking your time to absorb each lesson and craft posts that you’re proud of :)
5. Will I have a mentor?
As mentioned in the previous answer, Creators Academy focuses more on learning new skills before you sit down to write than on retrospective feedback. This gives you the chance to demonstrate your new skills and knowledge straight away, rather than receiving feedback after your post is written, and having to wait to put this knowledge into action. As such, one-on-one mentorship is not a part of the Creators Academy, and not every piece you submit will receive feedback. The community team will, of course, be keeping an eye on your progress, and be on hand with helpful hints and feedback if you need it.
We’ve set up the Creators Academy Chat, where we’ll be on hand to answer all of your questions, offer advice and generally help you in any way we can!
6. How many articles will I have to submit?
Currently, the Creators Academy is composed of 10 chapters, with 10 assignments (one per chapter)- so you will have to submit 10 articles to complete the course.
7. Is there a deadline for each submission?
As this course is work-at-your-own pace, there aren’t any deadlines. Start when you want, finish when you want, make everything in between count!
8. Can I submit old articles as part of the course?
Each assignment is tailored to assess how well you’ve understood each chapter of the course materials. So in short, no, you cannot submit articles written before the course- we’d like each post to reflect the knowledge and skills you’ve acquired with each new chapter.
9. What happens when I complete all the assignments?
You will officially graduate Creators Academy- cue the fanfare! We will send you a digital certificate of completion following the course. We will also keep a record of your submitted assignments to review as the basis of your Verified Creators application, which you can officially apply for after completing the course.
10. What is the Verified Creators Program?
The Verified Creators Program is our initiative to reward talented Creators for the unique, shareable and engaging articles they share with us every day.
The goal of the Verified Program is to give Creators access to all the tools and insights we have at our disposal, including one-on-one mentorship with a member of our team, to help them build their brand and continue developing as writers. Verified Creators are also paid for their work- they earn 50% of our programmatic advertising revenue for their articles. To give you an idea, the current payment for Verified Creators is $1.40 per 1,000 reads.
If you’re interested in finding out more about the Verified Creators Program, you can check out the full details here.
11. How do I get started?
Getting started couldn’t be simpler!
Step 1: sign up here to join the course.
Step 3: submit your first assignment once you’ve published your article.*
Step 4: Move on to the next assignment until you have completed and submitted all 10 articles.
*We’d recommend bookmarking the Creators Academy page, so you have access to all 10 lessons whenever you need them.
Hopefully, these FAQs have answered any burning questions you may have about the Academy. If there’s still anything you’d like to ask, feel free to reach out to us on the Creators Academy Chat Channel- we’re always happy to help!