This category is defending champ Uzo Aduba’s for the taking, but she will be facing stiff competition. Game of Thrones is so hot right now, so Emilia Clarke and Lena Headey should keep getting nominated. Maybe even a third King’s Landing Lady can break through (Maisie Williams, perhaps?), but it will be tough to get past stalwarts like Christine Baranski and Joanne Froggatt. If any newbie is making her way in here, my money is on Rhea Seehorn, who had enough screen time to practically be a co-lead while giving a performance that epitomized support.
1. Uzo Aduba, Orange is the New Black
2. Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
3. Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
4. Joanne Froggatt, Downton Abbey
5. Lena Headey, Game of Thrones
6. Rhea Seehorn, Better Call Saul
In terms of complexity of tasks and range of emotions in individual scenes, hardly anyone had more to do this season than Rhea Seehorn. Cush Jumbo brought a whole lot of perspective to the final season of The Good Wife. A show as otherworldly and as deadly as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. needs someone like Elizabeth Henstridge who can keep her cool and also has no chill. Abigail Spencer is always looking for an outlet to release her troubles on Rectify. Hurray for the regal Christine Baranski and her run as Diane Lockhart! Maura Tierney really had the opportunity to stretch out and go buckwild on Season 2 of The Affair.
1. Rhea Seehorn, Better Call Saul
2. Cush Jumbo, The Good Wife
3. Elizabeth Henstridge, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
4. Abigail Spencer, Rectify
5. Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
6. Maura Tierney, The Affair
What ladies do you think lent the most Emmy-worth hands? Let me know in the comments!