The Summer season is in high gear now with twelve #scifi and #fantasy shows already having kicked off in June (you can see a rundown of those here), but we are not done yet. There are seven more that have their premieres in July, four new shows and three returning, including the much anticipated #GameOfThrones Season 7 bow. That's quite a lot to keep up with, and there are even more on the way in August (you can see the full Summer schedule here).
Missing from this list are MTV's Teen Wolf and Cinemax's Outcast, both of which were supposed to have had their debuts already. Neither network has a premiere date on the show's websites, but I will keep an eye out and update this post if they end up making it to the July schedule. [Update: the Teen Wolf return date has now been added below.] Also, for those looking for TNT's The Last Ship, it is starting a little later than usual this year on August 20th. But maybe that will give you time to catch up on these other shows before that one has its fourth season bow!
Here are the July premieres and you can keep up with the weekly listings of sci fi and fantasy shows here.
Castlevania - Series Premiere
- Streaming: Netflix
- Starring: TBA
- About: Inspired by the classic video game series, this show follows the last surviving member from a clan of vampire hunters as he attempts to kill Dracula. Two seasons of this one have been planned, each consisting of four thirty-minute episodes. The second will stream in 2018.
Salvation - Series Premiere
- Airs: CBS, Wednesdays 9 PM EST
- Starring: Ian Anthony Dale, Dennis Boutsikaris, Santiago Cabrera, Jennifer Finnigan
- About: An MIT grad student and a tech superstar bring a low-level Pentagon official a staggering discovery that an asteroid is just six months away from colliding with Earth.
Game of Thrones - Season 7 Premiere
- Airs: HBO, Sundays 9 PM EST
- Starring: Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage, Emilia Clarke, Maisie Williams, Kit Harington, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
- About: After an extended wait, George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire saga continues on television and the seventh season promises an epic battle for power in Westeros that will lead into the show's eighth and final season.
The Strain - Season 4 Premiere
- Airs: FX, Sundays 10 PM EST
- Starring: Corey Stoll, David Bradley, Mía Maestro, Kevin Durand
- About: This vampire-pocalypse series based on the books by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan comes to a conclusion in its final season as the humans make a final stand against the vampire plague that threatens their race.
Somewhere Between - Series Premiere
- Airs: ABC, Mondays 9 PM EST
- Starring: Paula Patton, Devon Sawa, JR Bourne, Aria Birch
- About: This series follows a mother who travels back in time to prevent the murder of her daughter. It is based on the Korean TV series God’s Gift: 14 Days.
People of Earth - Season 2 Premiere
- Airs: TBS, Mondays 10 PM EST
- Starring: Wyatt Cenac, Ana Gasteyer, Oscar Nuñez, Michael Cassidy, Alice Wetterlund
- About: Returning for its second season, this fun little comedy follows a journalist investigating a group of alien-abduction survivors, and he discovers there may be some truth to their claims.
Midnight ,Texas - Series Premiere
- Airs: NBC, Tuesdays 9 PM EST
- Starring: François Arnaud, Dylan Bruce, Parisa Fitz-Henley, Arielle Kebbel
- About: This looks to be delivering True Blood for the broadcast networks as it also comes from a Charlaine Harris series of books and follows several supernatural characters that have taken up refuge in the small town of Midnight, Texas.
Teen Wolf - Resumes 6th and Final Season
- Airs: MTV, Sundays 8 PM EST
- Starring: Tyler Posey, Dylan O’Brien, Tyler Hoechlin, Holland Roden
- About: This fan-favorite supernatural drama wraps up its six-season run with it final 10 episodes as Scott and Lydia find they must stand alone against the growing darkness that threatens their world and the people they love.
- Note: MTV is planning a big send-off for Teen Wolf at the San Diego Comic Con before its final ten episodes air. More on that here.
Be sure to keep up with the latest sci fi and fantasy TV news with my Friday column 'This Week In Sci-Fi TV' and also follow the renewal / cancellation status of you favorite shows with my Tuesday column 'Sci-Fi TV Status Report'.