In January of last year, it was reported that the casting list for the next two Avenger's movies contained 67 characters. A month later, the directing duo of Anthony and Joe Russo retconned that report and stated there were, in fact, 68 characters to appear in the movies. The reception to this news was mind-blowing for many fans, both for those excited at the scope and those concerned with overpopulation.
At the same time, two important facts appear overlooked about the statement: 1. it could be completely fictitious and 2. it was made in regards to, what was, Infinity War Part I and II. The latter allows for some form of split among the 68 reported, which is much more manageable. Of course, this was all stated before the knowledge that Infinity War would not be a 2-part movie event, but rather two separate movies. The assumption is that it does not change anything about the casts, just how the stories will be presented.
Confirmed by the Directors/Multiple Sources
- 1. Thanos (Josh Brolin),
- 2. Spider-Man (Tom Holland)
- 3. Gamora (Zoe Saldana)
- 4. Dr. Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch)
- 5. Captain Marvel (Brie Larson)
- 6. Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.)
- 7. Captain America (Chris Evans)
- 8. Star Lord (Chris Pratt)
- 9. Unknown Role (Peter Dinklage, famous for his role as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones, has been confirmed to be in talks for a major role in the movie. Speculation has been rampant, with many predicting him portraying The Watcher or MODOK. Regardless of him signing, we know there is another major player that will be depicted.)
Confirmed by Open Casting Call Description
- 10. Thor (Chris Hemsworth)
- 11. Vision (Paul Bettany)
- 12. Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan)
- 13. Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson)
- 14. Nebula (Karen Gillan)
- 15. Groot (Vin Diesel)
- 16. Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner)
- 17. Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen)
- 18. Drax (Dave Bautista)
- 19. The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo)
- 20. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson)
- 21. Wong (Benedict Wong)
- 22. Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper),
- 23. Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman),
- 24. Ant-Man (Paul Rudd)
- From another casting call, we know that the movie will have Aliens. There is no indication whether the Chitauri will be returning or if they will be Kree or if they will have a major role at all. For all we know, they could be a random alien race that the movie shows Thanos wiping out. Though, they could just use CGI for that. Since it is still unknown, we will not count the alien casting towards the character count.
That is it. Above that line is all of the characters that have been confirmed in some official manner for the two Avengers sequels. Notably missing from the list is Falcon, War Machine (though, Civil War might have explained why he's not), and Nick Fury right-hand, Maria Hill. Now for the rumored/expected characters.
Confirmed on Social Media
25. Mantis (Pom Klementieff)**
Rumored/Expected to Appear
- 26. Falcon (Anthony Mackie)
- 27. Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders)
- 28. Dr. Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard)
- 29. Betty Ross (Liv Tyler)
- 30. Agent 13/Sharon Carter (Emily VanCamp)
- 31. War Machine (Don Cheadle)
- 32. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas)
- 33. General "Thunderbolt" Ross (William Hurt)
- 34. Everett K. Ross (Martin Freeman)
- 35. Wasp (Evangeline Lilly)
- 36. The Collector (Benicio Del Toro)
That puts the Avengers 3 and 4 cast at roughly half the "reported" number, and that is assuming every character in the above list appears. In comparison, Age of Ultron barely made it to 20 major characters when you include those seen in Scarlet Witch's dream sequences.
So what does that mean for the total cast? Well, if the Russos are to put their comics where their mouths are, then they still have half the cast to fill.
Presently, we have a number of sources with pools of available characters, such as Agents of SHIELD and the Defenders.
- By the time Infinity War premieres, I think it's safe to expect S.H.I.E.L.D. to be back in the full swing of the public eye, considering that process has already begun on the show. That means Tony and Cap may finally see Coulson's beautiful face again, or perhaps meet Quake/Daisy Johnson.
- Many, along with myself, do not believe the Defenders will have a place in these movies, but Marvel's TV series do offer characters like The Punisher, Daredevil, Wilson Fisk, and Iron Fist.
- There is also Thor's band of merry men, Lady Sif, Loki, Heimdall, etc., but with the Ragnarok event still awaiting, it's unclear who will be left breathing in Asgard.
- I expect more villains than just Thanos and some army of aliens. Whether it be a return from a previous movie or a new threat for the future, I expect Thanos to use at least one big name pawn in his endeavors.
That leaves us with over a year left until Avengers: Infinity War and over 2 years until the Untitled Avengers 4. Prior to Infinity War, Marvel will serve GOTG Vol. 2, Spiderman: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther. In addition to those is, perhaps, the true wild card in regards to characters that may appear in Infinity War, the Inhumans TV series. Between Infinity War and Avengers 4, the MCU will also add Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel's solo adventure.
Not only is there plenty that can change in that time, there are questions in regards to how factors like salary and balancing screen time will impact who exactly appears in each Avengers film.
*Note: This article will be updated as more characters are confirmed.
Update: 1/28/17 - Mantis casting; Update: 2/8/17 - Collector rumor